Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Challenge Me This...

So, I mentioned in my last post that I was starting Curves' 6-week Challenge/Solution. I have tried for a long time to cut the excessive junk food and constant cravings from my diet, but on my own will that just wasn't going to happen.

So, for the next 6 weeks (well 5 weeks now), it's nothing but healthy, good-for-you, delicious food.

After just a week I am already reaping the benefits of being a very healthy eater, but that isn't to say that last week wasn't hard: First of all, it seems all I do now in my spare time is prep food and wash dishes. I've always hated not having a dishwasher. That hate is now ten-fold.

And I went through a major sugar withdrawal over the weekend. Starting Thursday night I had a Fuzzy Peaches craving that would not cease and desist - it lasted three days. Then on Saturday, when my mum took me shopping (which should be happy, fun times) I felt so down. And Saturday night, well... Colin and I decided to get out of the house and go so Mission Impossible III (good flick, by the way); anyways I thought I was going to go nuts with all the people around me munching on their popcorn and chocolate and FUZZY PEACHES!

I was quite relieved when the movie started...

It's an understatement to say I am lucky - Colin is doing the Challenge with me. He gets up and preps breakfast every morning. And you should see what we eat for breakfast. I know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and I usually have a bowl of cereal, or yoghurt or toast, something. Well, now cereal just isn't enough. Nope we need to have eggs and bacon along with that bowl of cereal.

That being said, I was hungry the first few days. During Phase 1 (week one of the challenge) you are consuming around 1200 calories a day. That isn't much. But by Thursday I wasn't as hungry. During Phase 2 (weeks 2 - possibly 6) you up your caloric intake to 1600. I felt so full yesterday, and same again today. I am currently eating my morning snack (at 3:00 PM), haven't touched my afternoon snack yet, and still have to have dinner too.

Do you what my morning snack was today? Some carrots, and a whole can of tuna. Yes, the whole, fracking can.

I move onto Phase 3 either: at the end of 6 weeks; when I hit my goal; or when I begin to plateau, i.e. no weight loss over the course of two weeks.

I am only a week and a bit into this, but I am already learning what I set out to learn over the next 6 weeks - how to prepare delicious, healthy meals (I now have a great salmon recipe) and how to get over cravings.

That's not to say I will never eat chocolate or fuzzy peaches ever again...

No comments: