Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Bad and the Ugly

Lately my life has been filled with bad news. And worse news.


I wrote last month that DPhiE was not invited back to UBC. While disappointing, things appear to be status quo. Following that news, I learned earlier this month that Marpole Curves is closing down and is rejoining the Kerrisdale location.

Now this is not an end-of-the-world, earth-shattering thing, but it is disappointing. I have been working out at the Marpole location for nearly five years. It has really become a part of my life. I enjoy the other members and have gotten to know some of them really well. For the most part, I enjoy the walks to and from and the gym, especially my Saturday morning forays to Marpole. But things happen in life and you just have to go with the flow.

And while this is sad news, I am trying to look at the opportunities and advantages of working out at Kerrisdale. I literally have to pass it on my way home from work, which means I start my workout earlier and will have more time at home in the evenings. It’s a new environment; as much as I love Marpole, the change will be welcome. Kerrisdale has more machines and the Curves Smart program which I have wanted to try out. I will have the opportunity to meet new people, but there will be some familiar faces from Marpole: both staff and members.

But DPhiE not returning to UBC and the closing of Marpole Curves is nothing compared to what Colin and I are dealing with right now. And what we are dealing is going to stay underwraps - at least in the blog.

Nobody's sick or dying. Relationships aren't ending. I have no problem sharing with you what we are dealing with right now. But the blog just isn't the best place. At least for now. All I can say is it's stressful, scary, and a royal pain in the ass.

I need something good to happen, because lately it’s been bad news all around. If that good news is what we are currently dealing with is total bullshit, I’ll take that. Gladly.


No comments: