Friday, April 01, 2005

Interesting Times

I was thinking this morning what an interesting past few days it has been for the world; ok, maybe not the whole world, but I certainly feel we are living through some interesting times right now:

The Pope is on his death bed and he is the only Pope I have ever known, since he became Pope the same year I was born. Now I'm not a Catholic, nor am I of any religion, but I do feel the passing of the Pope will be a historical moment, as he has touched so many lives around the world.

Futhermore, just as the people of SE Asia are picking up the pieces from the huge Boxing Day quake and Tsunami, another extremely large quake rocks that region.

Prince Ranier is ill and Prince Albert has been made Prince Regent of Monaco. I remember visiting Monaco when I was 11. It is a very beautiful place. I learned a lot about the royal family on that visit, and since then have always had a keen interest in Monte Carlo and Monaco as a whole.

And, of course, Prince Charles will wed Camilla Parker-Bowels next friday. How strange it will be that Camilla and not Diana, who will become the next Queen of England. I am sure, however, Queen E will hold on to her life and throne for as long as possible, so Prince Charles has a short reign and we can move right on to Prince William. Besides I would rather have Wills on my money than Charles! We are going to have some good looking currency in the future ;).

And Canada is starting to play hardball (sort of) with our neighbours to the South. Yes, Canada (in accordance with the WTO), along with the EU, will be placing tarrifs on some US imports. Hopefully it works, and helps to resolve the Softwood Lumber/Mad Cow situation.

...my bathroom still has a large hole in the wall, and my sink is still pink and leaking...

No comments: