Tuesday, May 03, 2005

...Yes, I have a message for Paul Martin

...you see Bono told me to give him a call...

I was very happy and fortunate to be one of the chosen ones. That is one of the U2 fans lucky enough to get tickets for their Vertigo tour. Two nights in Vancouver sold out in about 15 minutes. Granted I was behind the stage, and way up in the nosebleeds of GM place, but it still rocked.

I don't think I can even describe the excitement and anticipation in GM Place on Friday night, and the stage set up - well, you just had to be there. I was dancing up a storm (and there wasn't much room, sandwiched between Andrew L. and Colin) to Vertigo, Elevation, Sunday Bloody Sunday and the list goes on.

The one thing I noticed was the number of generations present at the concert, different generations for different albums. There were some young kids in front of us who seemed to know everything off of "How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb," and then there was my crew, the Achtuang, Zooropa generation, and so on.

They played a ton of stuff from the new album, more so than most stops, I believe. Why? Well, they are using the Vancouver (and I believe Seattle) concert for the Tour DVD. Pretty cool!

Then, during One, the UN charter scrolled across the big screens, and so did Paul Martin's phone number. Bono asked everyone to get out their cell phones and call PM-PM and tell him that Canada is the best nation to put a stop to poverty in 3rd world countries - these were Bono's words.

During One, everyone had their cell phones open, swaying to the music and the blue and green glows lit up GM place - it was an awesome effect. Very powerful.

The next evening, while at dinner with friends of ours, we decided to see if this phone number actually connected us to Paul Martin - we were connected to the Prime Minister's Office and then to the Prime Minister's voice mail... Bono told us to give you a call, we support his cause and want Canada to take a leading effort in ending poverty in 3rd world countries.

No comments: